Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Project Life...A new way

I've been scrapbooking for as long as I can remember, but I formally got hooked after my first son was born almost 16 years ago. Back then we started with using photo-safe pages and stickers, but more importantly it was about journaling the story behind your pictures for your family to keep as living legacy of sorts.  I have held on to that message ever since and have done my best to do this for our family. Those of you who scrapbook know that finding time to do so is difficult, and this art has been evolving beyond our wildest dreams so it makes it a little difficult to keep up.  However, I still love the basic hands on part of it- cropping, journaling and picture placing.

Scrapbooking is being revolutionized once again. My SIL, Betty, is always in the know about the latest scrapbooking trends and got me following Becky Higgins a few years back, (she was a former contributor to Creative Keepsakes magazine), and she came up with her own method called Project Life. I will let this video link explain it, but she basically teaches the concept of simple memory keeping by slipping pictures into pages, and jotting down  notes on pre-designed cards and that's it! Its fantastic! Betty has been scrapbooking this way for a few years now and she loves it.

I'm always a few steps behind, but that's ok! It works for me. I'm much better at taking my time as I watch what she and others are doing creatively and then figure out what I think I can take on.  So I've been gearing up myself for this over the last year, and I put it on my Christmas list hoping to get it. Bobby (my BIL/Betty's hubby) was my Secret Santa and gifted me with this great project, and I was so happy!

My "goal" is to share this project with you every week (or so) to show its progression, but we'll see.  I  am probably looking for trouble by diving into 3 new projects this year, but I had to definitely start this one this week.

So here we go with Week 1:
Here is my title page


Even though I had been studying and doing some research on other peoples pages to see what works before I started this, I was anxious about putting this 1st week together. I got some tips from Betty, and she stressed to me that there is to be No Stress about this project!
Soo I went with what I had and knew, and I am happy with how
my first week of 2013 turned out. 



And here is what it looks like side by side

I like that I got a good variety of pictures in, 
and I've always been big on journaling, so I got a good amount of that in as well.

Notes on my 1st week:
I do plan on taking pictures with all cameras, but its my first week and I've only used my iPhone camera so far. Making collages with cellphone pictures have been all rage on Instagram, and I love posting those on my own account. So I learned how to print them in a size that I could implement them in my pages and I think this is going to be something I am definitely going to continue to use in one form or another. (I will explain this process in a later post)


So I hope I've peaked your interest and that you'll come check out my Project Life journey. You can take this chance to sit back and watch how easy this project may be and decide that it may be something you want to start for yourself and your family.

If you're interested, lcheck out Becky Higgins website/blog for all the information on her beautiful PL kits and pick out your favorite one. I went for the Turquoise kit.

In the meantime, I am excited to continue to see how my Week 2 & Week 3 develop.

From my corner to yours...Thanks for checking it out!







2 comments:

Gioconda said...

This looks great. I think you'll find that it gets easier as you go and your style may change from week to week. But keep going! You won't regret it.

Heather Johnson said...

This was your first week ever? WOW. It looks awesome!!! My first week didn't look nearly as good as this. I can't wait to see how it grows throughout the year...it's amazing how much easier it gets as you go week to week. It's so a part of my routine now I think nothing of it! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog:)