Thursday, January 29, 2015

Saying goodbye to Parenthood...

I had another post scheduled for today, but I had to replace it with this one for now as the realization hit me. You see tonight, in a few hours, I along with many other fans of this beloved TV Show, we will be watching the final episode of Parenthood. My weekly visit with the Braverman Family will be no more.

https://www.facebook.com/Parenthood

And I am beyond sad!! Honestly, my eyes well up as I think about it.

Overdramatic? Maybe, but I know some of you out there will understand.

For the last 6 years Parenthood has become one of those tv shows that I have added to my list of the few and rare emotional attachments to something (outside of my family of course) that I hold close to my heart. For those of you who know me well some others include (as silly as they may be)- Davy Jones/The Monkees, Harry Potter, Oprah, etc. Tonight actually feels very close to what it felt like the night my sisters/brothers in laws got together to watch the last episode of  FRIENDS after 10 years. Ugghh! But this one just might be harder... Yes, really!

This isn't the first time I've written a post about this show on my blog either. I wrote this post back in 2011 when I got to meet the cast of Parenthood just 2 seasons in, and this show has been a DVR preset on our tv for years since then. If you read that post you'll see just how and why this show has been so important to me, and years later I still feel the same way if not stronger about it.

nbc.com
The Bravermans became family and friends to me. Kristina Braverman (Monica Potter- love her too!) will always be one of my favorites and a model of grace, compassion and courage for me...a hero for a modern mom. Sooo cliche, I admit, but as a fan its hard not to become completely invested in their growing story lines over the years and have them impact fans like me in some way. They covered so many truly relevant family issues like autism, mixed families, breast cancer, infidelity/separation, coming out, depression, PTSD, growing old, and even finding ones path in life. Of course, not all the story lines fit  me exactly, but the emotions and feelings portrayed by all the characters were all relateable somehow.  They felt real. They made you feel deeply whatever the issue was. And these themes were always carried out with the same exact care, love, and realism that made me fall in love with this show to begin with.

There's no point in complaining or demanding that the show not go off the air. Its leaving and that's Hollywood for you. But they've had a great run and I am so happy that they were given the opportunity to wrap up the story lines as well as they have to give the fans a proper goodbye.

So Thank you Parenthood for sharing 6 years of your wonderful, beautiful characters and stories with me, with us, your adoring fans. For letting us be part of your family. For all the anxiety, tears, and laughter I know I've personally shed and chuckled out loud. But more importantly for all the LOVE you've shown us and how to give it and receive it in our own lives.

I won't say goodbye forever, because I know I'll see you again soon...on hulu. (thank goodness for hulu, lol)

But for now- Parenthood, you will be incredibly missed.

XOXO
 

No comments: